Musical Garbage Can

Thursday, December 30, 2004

More of '04

Of course I can't possibly discuss every great album of the year, so here are some more highlights:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Velvet Revolver - Contraband
This album had "best of" written on it before it was even released. Like Audioslave and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups before them - the band is two great things that go great together.
It's not Guns, it's not STP, but it's not really trying to be either. Instead Velvet Revolver released one of the better rock albums of the year.
I'm all about originality, and this album's got it.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Jimmy Cliff - Black Magic
I'll admit that I hadn't heard much by Jimmy Cliff before I got this album in the mail, but it was definitely a nice surprise when I played it.
Cliff plays some classic reggae style music with a number of guests on the album - Sting, Annie Lennox and Joe Strummer included.
Some is fun, some is thought-provoking, but it's all good.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Southern Culture on the Skids - Mojo Box
I was shocked to see this on Stephen King's best of list in Entertainment Weekly, but then again it's a great album.
The band refers to it as "toe-suckin' geek rock" and it's plain fantastic.
Fun, rockabilly/punk/rock/folk all rolled up into one.
The band is also great live - they'll even pass out chicken. Little Debbie Snack Cakes and banana pudding. I've been listening to the band since the mid-90s and have interviewed singer Rick Miller twice.
They're just pleasant all around.
My only complaint - that their song is featured in a jewelry commercial. But hey, it's about time these guys (and gal) made some extra dough. They deserve it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Slipknot - Vol. 3 The Subliminal Verses
I've mentioned this album in the past, so I'll keep it short.
I'm not crazy about the entire album, but "Duality," "Vermillion" and "Vermillion Pt. 2" are probably three of the best songs I heard all year.

Happy New Year!!!
I'll give myself and everyone else a day to recover, and will return on Sunday.
Flip through the archives while you wait - maybe you'll see something you missed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google