Musical Garbage Can

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Gone fishin'

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I guess similar species will stick together.
First it was Phish, now it's Leftover Salmon - the band is going on hiatus after being together for 15 years.
Don't worry, jam band fans - Widespread Panic will be back early next year.

Honorable mentions of '04
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I first heard Breaking Benjamin when they opened for Saliva at a show at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem. I thought I'd wander out from the back bar and check them out, and they instantly drew me in. Pretty powerful heavy rock. Their debut album, 2002's "Saturate," has consistently found its way back into my CD player. Any band that can create a metal song that revolves around the Wizard of Oz, have a chorus of "There's no place like home" and not sound cheesy, is ok in my book. I'm still getting into their new album. It' s definitely not bad for a sophomore release.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
In Feb. of 2003, Ministry released "Animositisomina" - one of their best albums in recent years. Thanks to Al Jourgenson cleaning up, the band made a powerful comeback. Enter 2004 - Paul Barker leaves the band, but Jourgenson keeps the torch lit with "Houses of the Mole." Not as good as the previous album, but it's still better than "Dark Side of the Spoon." I interviewed Al back in 03 - and it was truly an honor. It's great to see him clean and energetic and having a blast. I hope the band continues improving.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Nonpoint is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated bands around today. They definitely aren't getting the recognition or airplay they deserve. I discovered the band when I randomly picked them for a preview - I was bored and wanted to write on somebody. After getting their first CD in the mail, I was blown away. Aggressive, powerful rock with equally impressive vocals. I was surprised to hear that they left MCA Records (or were dropped), but I guess it's always about sales. Their new album is good, but not when compared to their debut, 2000's "Statement."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Another band whose sophomore release doesn't quite match the debut, but it's still good all the same. Earshot's "Two" isn't quite as moving as "Letting Go," but I still enjoy it. The band's most notable quality is that their singer, Wil Martin, sounds a heck of a lot like Maynard from Tool. But the music has a different sound to it - not as other-worldly as Tool. A solid second effort from these guys.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I don't have much to say about this album. In all honesty, I was disappointed. I thought she'd jazz it up a little more - it was too much R&B for my taste. But I've got to give credit to the NC-native for winning the karaoke contest of American Idol.

Christmas is around the corner. Look for more Best of 2004 CDs and a look at some magazine's Best-of lists before the New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google