Musical Garbage Can

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

American Idol - Top 9

I think it's great that Tony Bennett was the guest mentor this week, but when he said that Sanjaya is a great singer, I think he lost a little bit of cred.

Here are my thoughts on the top 9 tonight:

Blake Lewis - Plaid pants, blue blazer = bad outfit. His singing was good but it was a little too falsetto-ish for me. He needed a little more edge to the singing.

Phil Stacey - He doesn't do well with low notes. It wasn't too bad, but if it's not Sanjaya, I'd say he's the best bet to go.

Melinda Doolittle - A solid vocal on a good, upbeat song. If she were to win, I see her releasing a soul album - would it do well? I think she's just too boring and "safe" every week.

Chris Richardson - He's not a bad singer and has personality. The problem is that something's missing - He never gives a very memorable performance.

Jordin Sparks - She has strong vocals and is still the best female singer, in my mind. She has fun and is young and hip where LaKisha is blunt and loud and Melinda is boring.

Gina Glocksen - A strong vocal and good song choice. I think the tongue piercing is distracting. No complaints.

Sanjaya Malakar - Pitchy and off-key as usual, plus bad hair and a bad outfit. He had a few good notes, but he's not even in the same league as the other singers.

Haley Scarnato - She continues to show off her legs in short outfits. Broadway Haley was back tonight. It was too "cruise ship."

Lakisha Jones - She needs to soften it up a little. It's too loud and screamy, as usual.

The bottom three: Haley, Phil and, of course, Sanjaya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google