Musical Garbage Can

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

American Idol - Top 11

Here are my thoughts on the top 11 tonight:

Haley Scarnato - I thought it was pitchy and a weak performance. A little too "talky" for me instead of singing. It showed a fun side though - better than previous weeks.

Chris Richardson - I wasn't into the falsetto. I think he's a little too much like Justin Timberlake and he needs to find his own identity. The tone also reminded me of Ace Young from last season.

Stephanie Edwards - I thought it was a solid performance, but it always sounds the same. I'd like her to step outside of her comfort zone.

Blake Lewis - He gave the song a modern touch, but left the original intact. I think he provides the most style and character to the competition - he brings something fresh to the table instead of the same old ballads. His style has grown on me and I think he's the best on the competition.

Lakisha Jones - I'm still not impressed. I think she is oversinging at the end of hte song and, like Stephanie, she's always in her comfort zone. People feel the need to vote for her to make up for Jennifer Hudson, but Hudson was also an oversinger.

Phil Stacey - I didn't think his vocals had enough edge tonight. It was just ok.

Jordin Sparks - Solid vocals and personality. To me, she's the strongest female vocalist. She shows control to her voice.

Sanjaya Malakar - The girl crying in the audience was a little too much. I mean, was she crying because it was so bad? I still can't believe he's in the competition. It's really tough to watch.

Gina Glocksen - Not her best performance, but was ok. I thought it was a little shaky.

Chris Sligh - A solid performance, but yet another person who needs to step out of their comfort zone. After five years, I'm getting bored with the same old songs - the ballads all sound alike after a while.

Melinda Doolittle - Out of her comfort zone? How? It was another ballad. She has a powerful voice, but it's boring. She's singing like she's 50 and I'm tired of the "Really? Am I good?" look on her face each week. The spit flying while she was singing wasn't attractive either.

The bottom three: Gina, Phil and, of course, Sanjaya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google