Musical Garbage Can

Monday, February 28, 2005

The business of magazine covers

It's no mystery, for anyone who reads this blog regularly, that I'm not a big fan of Kanye West. I just don't think he's all that the hype says he is. Call him overrated. Call him an egomaniac. I think he's a touch of both. You can add selfish to the list, too.

West has come out and said he wants to now be paid to appear on the cover of magazines.

"These magazines make money from ads and subscriptions. But I know that part of what drives subscriptions and ads is who these magazines put on the cover," West said in a recent article. "So if you're putting me on the cover and people are buying your magazine because of me, why shouldn't I get paid to be on that cover? You are going to have to pay me to do magazine covers now!"

Hey, buddy, it doesn't work like that. Sure, people may buy the magazine because you're on the cover, but people who don't know you may buy your album because of the article. It's a two-way street.

What if magazines charged you to appear on their cover, saying, "Your appearance on the cover of our magazine led to more album sales for you."

What do you think about that? In fact, if I ever have that ability in the future, - as the editor of a magazine - maybe it will be free to appear on the cover. For everyone but you.

You make millions of dollars, but now your selfish, greedy butt wants to take money from everyone else, too? I'm sorry, but I hope your comments hurt your publicity instead of help it.

Luckily, according to that article, many magazines have come out and said they would never pay someone to be on their cover.

1 Comments:

  • Looks like West has fallen off the deep end. Sure, his mug might sell a bunch of copy but it's not like he's the only one whose face can sell copy. Many magazines charge to be on their cover and thousands of people are clamoring for publicity. Tell 'em I'll pose for free as long as they mention my books.

    Some people need to get over themselves.

    By Blogger Billy Jones, at 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google