Musical Garbage Can

Saturday, January 08, 2005

In the news...

Just some quick news briefs that I found in the newspaper and online:

Poisoned by country
My newspaper this morning had a brief item about Bret Micheals of Poison fame wanting to switch over to country music. I was surprised by this, but after looking around online, it seems as though it's nothing new. So don't be surprised if he releases a country album some time in the near future. I guess "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" could fit in that category, huh?

Bye to The Osbournes
"The Osbournes" TV show returns to MTV on Monday, Jan. 17, to kick off their final season. There's reported to be a final 10 episodes that will chronicle Ozzy's bout with insomnia, daughter Kelly's drug rehab, her budding new commercial TV career, and a family vacation to Hawaii. Supposedly the show will end on March 21 for good.
I'll say that I've enjoyed watching this show for the past few years, but will also admit that it has lost some of its charm, so I think it's a good idea to end it. They probably could have stopped after two seasons, and done without that awful Christmas Special.
It's not that I enjoyed laughing at Ozzy or his family's goofiness, it's just that it was nice to see a huge star take out the trash and show he has a normal life. Then again, Ozzy was never like the other "stars" out there, was he?

Ramone in stone
Late Ramones guitarist Johnny Ramone will be immortalized by a bronze statue at an L.A. cemetery. The Johnny Ramone monument, created by artist Wayne Toth, shows Ramone playing his Mosrite guitar and it features the words, "If a man can judge success by how many great friends he has, then I have been very successful -- Johnny Ramone." A nice tribute to a legendary punk rocker.

The Rev. on CNN?
I'm glad the Rev. Horton Heat is finally getting some national recognition. I love this guy's brand of rockabilly, and it's nice to see that there's a big story about him on CNN.com. I interviewed Jim Heath not too long ago, and he was another one of the many pleasant people I've had the privelege to speak with.
My favorite Horton Heat moment came at a concert at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem a few years back. As the band played, some drunk guy started spraying the band with beer. Heath stopped the music, and got on the mike. "Didn't you go to college? The first thing they teach you there is 'Don't waste beer!'"

Enjoy the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google