Musical Garbage Can

Sunday, January 23, 2005

MOVIE REVIEW: Ray

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I admit that I was long overdue to see the new movie, "Ray," starring Jamie Foxx, but I finally went yesterday and caught it at the local $2 theatre.

In short, I'll say I was as impressed as I thought I would be. It's no surprise that Foxx won a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Ray Charles, and I wouldn't be shocked if he won the Oscar, too.

Foxx has Charles' movements and mannerisms down pat. Many times during the movie, I had to remind myself that it wasn't Ray Charles himself (mostly during the performance scenes). Of course, there were also times when I didn't need to look twice before thinking, "That's Jamie Foxx."

The movie focuses on Charles' life in the 50s and 60s, with flashbacks of his childhood. It deals with his heroin addiction and his womanizing, but it also gives a look at the man behind the music.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the movie, to me, was that it was straightforward - it didn't try to portray Ray Charles as anything more than a man that loved his music. He wasn't a saint. He wasn't an untouchable superstar. He was simply a talented musician who loved what he did.

The final forty years of Ray's life are skimmed over in the blink of an eye, but I didn't mind. It was the period of his life that is in the movie, that was the most interesting to me. It makes me want to read more about him, and listen to more of his music.

If you haven't seen "Ray" already, I recommend you check it out. It's an incredibly intriguing two-and-a-half hours.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google