Musical Garbage Can

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Who is Dakota?

Readers of the newspaper or others who find their way to my blog may ask themselves some of the following questions -

"Why is his name Dakota?"
So here's a brief bio:
Dakota is my dog, actually. I've had him for the past 10-and-a-half years, and raised him up from when he was four days old.
About 10 years ago, when I first started getting online, I used the screenname or handle of "Dakota." It's been that way ever since.

"How long have you been a music writer?"
I've always been a music fan, but my writing career started in college in the mid-90s. I was the entertainment editor for The Auburn Plainsman at Auburn University for a year and a half. Since then, I've done a variety of writing for a handful of newspapers. For the past five years, I've been here in central North Carolina.

"What music do you like?"
This one's not so easy to answer. A wide variety of music can be found on my "wall of CDs." From Tori Amos to Frank Zappa, from the Grateful Dead to Marilyn Manson, from Beethoven to Ministry, from Alice in Chains to Public Enemy, from the Beastie Boys to Tupac. I could go on for hours... I'm not a big fan of opera. I'm not a big fan of country. However, no matter what I listen to, I try to give an unbiased, fair opinion. I'm not crazy about generic rock or stuff that's generally considered noise.

"Those you can't play music, write about it."
Maybe that's a true statement. However, I have played guitar since I was in eighth grade, and I'm now 30 years old. I'm not Hendrix, by any means. I'm more of the frustrated type - I understand the difficulties of playing, as well as writing your own music.

What's your opinion of cover bands?
I don't like them. If you have the talent to play, play your own stuff. I hate that cover bands can play just about any club in town, but local originals are never given the time of day. There are exceptions to the rule -
Project/Object, a Frank Zappa cover band, has incredibly talented musicians that play intricate compositions that not just anyone can play.
George Thorogood - he's got some originals, but the majority are old covers. He plays great rock and blues though.

If you have any questions, leave them in the comments area, and I'll be happy to answer.
Enjoy the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google