Musical Garbage Can

Monday, January 17, 2005

Tied to the whippin' post

I had my phone interview with Gregg Allman this afternoon.

I chatted with the Southern rock legend for about 20-25 minutes, and all things went well. Of course, the story doesn't come out for a couple of weeks, so I won't spoil it yet.

But what you won't read in an ordinary newspaper story is that Gregg was in good spirits, and laughed a number of times. He speaks in a slow Southern drawl with a voice that's got a bit of a growl to it.

In general, I was happy with the way it went. It's always a bit nerve-racking for me when I talk to artists that I have listened to for years.

In most cases, I truly enjoy the opportunities I have to speak with musicians, but a few have had me very nervous:

George Thorogood - The first concert I ever went to was of Thorogood, so when I got to talk with him about 15 years later, it was as if I had come full circle.

Gene Simmons - Come on, it's Gene Simmons! I had no idea what to expect, but he was incredibly nice and a pretty good interview.

Alice Cooper - The idea that Alice talks about himself in the third person was pretty strange, but this wound up being one of the best interviews I've ever done. It was scheduled for 15 minutes, but I actually talked to him for 45. He also thanked me for a "great interview." Definitely a highlight for me.

Bo Diddley - A legend that was nice enough to give me about 15 minutes.

George Carlin - I've always had problems interviewing comics - they're always completely different than their on stage "character." (Except for Andrew "Dice" Clay). Margaret Cho was that way too. I guess I expect comics to give fun interviews, but they're always very serious and to the point, and usually don't joke much at all.

1 Comments:

  • Wow, I remember skipping school on Friday to drive to Atlanta to see the Alman Brothers at the Fox. And Whipping Post wow, I remember when the Alman Brothers were rumored to own Love Valley, NC. Wild place back then.

    And I first saw George Thoroughgood in a truckstop/bar/motel on US301 in Maryland circa 1977 At the time I'd never heard of him but when he opened the show hopping across the stage while playing slide on an an old Chuck Berry tune I was blown away. Six months later he finally got radio airplay in Richmond, VA.

    Alice Cooper blew us all away in high school (early 70s) with his song about his name (can't remember the title) Million Dollar Babies, and School's Out.

    What true rocker couldn't love Bo Diddly, I grew up on him, Elvis, the Beatles, Berry, and the Stones

    By Blogger Billy Jones, at 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google