Musical Garbage Can

Sunday, February 13, 2005

It's Grammy night!

I'll sidestep a bunch of possible Christina Aguilera banter - she got engaged, if you hadn't heard - to say that tonight is Grammy night.

I'm ready, so here are some predictions. You can expect my full reactions tomorrow.

Album of the Year
I'm leaning towards Usher. His single dominated radio, and his album dominated the sales charts. It'll be hard to ignore him.

Record of the Year
Kanye and Green Day will get a fair share of votes, but I'd love to see the sentimental favorite, Ray Charles, win it. Black Eyed Peas were good, but I don't think they'll win.

Song of the Year
Are these really the choices? John Mayer annoyed me with his faux Dave Matthews voice. Hoobastank is great, but the song is overplayed. That country one - well, I don't like country. "Jesus Walks" out the door, and I give the title to Alicia Keys. I think the industry backs her more than the others.

Best New Artist
While Maroon 5 may be the most popular, I'd give the award to Joss Stone based on talent. Los Lonely Boys haven't had the commercial success. And I'm sorry, but I think Kanye West is overrated.

Best Pop Vocal Album
I'd go with Ray Charles for sentiment, again, or for Norah Jones. It'd be nice to see Joss Stone win here, but I don't think it'll happen.

Best Rock Album
Judging the nominees - it's got to be Velvet Revolver. I can't even believe The Killers are in this category at all - that is, nominated.

Best Rap Album
As much as I like the Beastie Boy, I'd give it to Jay-Z. Again, I find Kanye to be overrated. Nelly is too pop.

Best Country Album
I'd love to see Tift Merritt win - would make for a great interview coming up - but let's face it, Gretchen Wilson is all over the radio and tv these days. I'd be surprised if she didn't win.

OK, there's my picks for the top awards tonight.
My reactions and comments coming tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google