Musical Garbage Can

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Getting ready for reggae

This afternoon, I'll have the honor of interviewing one of the founders of reggae music, Jimmy Cliff.

His album, "Black Magic," that was released last year was one of my favorites of the year.

It's always interesting when you interview someone who has been in the music business for 40 years - you never know what you'll get, or what questions you should or shouldn't ask.

For example, about four years ago, I interviewed Alice Cooper. His manager told me I'd have 15 minutes and to "stick to the new stuff." Once we got talking, the interview lasted 45 minutes, I asked Alice every question I could possibly think of and he commented that it was a great interview. I got to ask about his appearance on the Muppet Show, his views on the presidential election and more.

In contrast, I interviewed Bo Diddley a few years ago. Here is another musician who's been in the business for years, but you can tell interviews aren't his favorite thing. Some questions Diddley answered for a minute, some questions he gave me one or two words. After about 10 minutes, he simply said, "I need to get going." I had been warned that the interview depended on his mood.

So now, I'm preparing for Jimmy Cliff. Do I ask about his working with Bob Marley? Do I ask about Peter Tosh? Do I get into the thoughts that Marley is more recognized in reggae than Cliff though Cliff was an originator of the reggae sound?

It's a tough line to cross, if you think you're going to ask questions that will stir up emotions.

How do I approach it? I simply wait and judge the mood of the interview. If Cliff is in a good mood and talkative, I'll get into the Marley stuff. If he's short and to the point and seems bothered, you ask about working with Marley, but don't dive deeper.

My job is to gather information, but not offend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google